2 cups of sugar
8 oz. strained carrots (baby food)
2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups of flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Yields: 6 servings
- PREHEAT oven to 350˚ and spray a 13” x 18” sheet pan with rolled edges with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, SIFT the dry ingredients together.
- CREAM sugar and eggs in a large bowl. MIX in carrots until well blended. Alternately ADD the flour mixture and the oil, starting and ending with the flour mixture. MIX in vanilla.
- POUR into sheet pan and BAKE for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- REMOVE from oven and let COOL. CUT out 18 round circles with a 3” biscuit cutter. ASSEMBLE 3 cake circles at a time by FROSTING the top of one, then layering a second circle on top of the first and FROSTING the top of the second, repeat some steps for the third. DECORATE tops of mini cakes as desired.
- Frosting: BEAT together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. ADD vanilla and mix till blended.
If you prefer the texture of shredded carrots, you can substitute 3 cups in place of the strained baby carrots.
To save time, use pre-made sugar decorations found in the grocery baking section or craft store. Or use chopped pecans.
Desserts with cream cheese frosting should always be refrigerated.