|large egg whites||
|cream of tartar||
- Start by PREHEATING the oven to 250 degrees F.
- ADD egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt to your stand mixer bowl, and WHIP on medium speed until white and foamy.
- Slowly ADD in sugar in intervals of 8 until combined, then TURN mixer speed to high.
- WHIP meringue until very stiff peaks have formed and meringue is very glossy and white.
- At this point, you can make any variation below you would like.
- To bake, PLACE meringue cookies in the preheated oven for 1 .5 to 2 hours, or until crisp and light. Make sure that it does not brown, so carefully begin checking around the hour and a half mark. Then SERVE.
1. TINT 3/4s of meringue a pink color and the remaining meringue a light green. ADD both tinted meringues to two different piping bags fitted with a star tip.
2. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, take a pencil and DRAW triangles in various sizes then FLIP over.
3. Using the triangles as a guide, PIPE the pink meringue inside the triangles only leaving the very bottom left. FILL in the bottom with the green meringue to make it look like watermelon slices.
4. Finally SPRINKLE the tops of the watermelons with poppy seeds or sesame seeds then BAKE according to instructions above.
1. DIVIDE meringue into 4-6 different bowls and TINT in various pastel colors.
2. ALTERNATE adding the tinted meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
3. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, carefully PIPE out thick and long squiggly shapes. The colors should begin to blend together in a fun watercolor pattern.
4. Next STICK popsicle sticks into the inside. Then ADD sprinkles, glitter, and unicorn toppers, if desired, then BAKE according to instructions above.
Patriotic Cookie Stacks
1. In an empty piping bag fitted with a large star tip, carefully DRAG thick red and blue lines of food coloring in the inside of the bag.
2. Then SCOOP in meringue and PIPE small stars on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, then BAKE according to instructions above. The stars should be red, white, and blue.
3. Finally ADD meringue stars to small red velvet cookies topped with buttercream and SERVE.