4 large EGGS
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1½ Tbsp. onion, diced
1½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1½ Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chipotle seasoning
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatoes with liquid (14.5 oz. cans)
1 can diced green chilies, drained
1 cup chorizo sausage, cooked
¼ cup water
¼ cup queso fresco
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, sliced
4 corn tortillas
Yields: 4 servings
- HEAT olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. ADD onion, yellow pepper, and garlic. COOK and STIR 5-7 minutes until onions begin to brown.
- REDUCE heat to medium, continue to COOK until bell pepper is softened.
- ADD cumin, chipotle, salt, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, green chilies, and water and bring to a boil.
- ADD chorizo, REDUCE heat and SIMMER, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- MAKE 4 evenly spaced impressions in sauce and break an egg into each impression. COVER pan, REDUCE heat to low.
- COOK 6-8 minutes or until eggs are done to your preference.
- REMOVE from heat, SPRINKLE with cheese, and cilantro.
- DIVIDE shakshuka evenly between 4 bowls. SERVE in bowls with corn tortillas.