Egg, Bacon & Cheese DanishReturn to Full Recipe List Print Recipe
|puff pastry (you can use any of your favorite brands)||
1 (14-oz) box
|additional egg for egg wash||
|pieces of bacon, cooked**||
|cheese, or more if preferred*||
|chopped chives and more cheese for garnish|
- PREHEAT the oven to 375F. LINE a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, LINE the sheet of dough out. (If you are using homemade dough, roll it into a roughly 16×12-inch thin rectangle.
- Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, CUT dough into 8 – 12 squares.
- Gently STACK 2 sheets of dough together. FOLD them in half-creating a triangle. CUT along both sides of the hypotenuses, creating an inside triangle but not connecting the cut points. LEAVE about ¼ – ½ inch from the edge. DO NOT cut through the connecting point (otherwise, the middle triangle will fall off).
- OPEN the 2 sheets back to a square. Gently PULL the opposite sides of the open corner and FOLD to the other side. You should have 2 twisty knots on the other 2 corners.
- Gently FIX the dough with your fingers to make sure there is no gap between the bottom pieces and the sides (otherwise, the eggs could leak out). REPEAT the steps for the rest of the dough.
- BRUSH with beaten egg. PLACE squares with cutouts on top. COVER loosely with plastic wrap, and LET STAND for 30 minutes.
- BRUSH more beaten egg if needed. And use your hands to gently PULL the holes a bit bigger. You can also make the “wall” of the egg hold a bit taller with your hands.
- BAKE for 8 – 9 minutes. REMOVE from oven, and crack one egg into center of each Danish. SPRINKLE with crumbled bacon (cooked) and cheese (a little cracked black pepper if desired).
- RETURN to oven and BAKE until eggs are set and pastry is puffed and golden, 10 to 15 minutes depending on how runny you’d like your eggs.
- REMOVE from the oven, GARNISH with some freshly shaved cheese and finely chopped chives on top. ENJOY while it’s warm.
- Try using pecorino, drunken goat cheese, Toscano cheese, or semi-soft creamy cheese. But pick your favorite and you can’t go wrong!
- If you are making the bacon from raw, broil for 7 minutes in the oven and flip once halfway.
- Use an oven thermometer to ensure accurate cooking temperature.