Farmer’s Corn MuffinsReturn to Full Recipe List Print Recipe
|large eggs, divided||
|butter (1/2 stick)||
|scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated||
|bell peppers (about 1 large), finely chopped||
1 1/2 cups
2 1/4 cups
|ground black pepper||
1 3/4 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 375˚F.
- BRING a large pot of water to a boil and SET UP an ice bath.
- Gently ADD 12 eggs to boiling water and cook for 6½ minutes, TRANSFER immediately to ice bath. LET SIT about 10 minutes or until cooled. Carefully PEEL eggs so as not to break yolks.
- Meanwhile, HEAT a large skillet over medium heat and ADD butter to melt. Once butter has melted, ADD peppers and scallion whites.
- COOK until soft and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. SEASON with salt to taste. TURN OFF heat and SET aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, COMBINE corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, corn kernels, and scallion greens. STIR to combine for 30 seconds.
- ADD the cooked vegetables with butter and STIR to combine for another 30 seconds.
- ADD oil and two remaining eggs, and MIX until combined.
- While running on low speed, slowly POUR in buttermilk until just combined.
- LINE a muffin tin with tulip cupcake liners and FILL each cup with a heaping tablespoon of batter. PRESS down lightly with the back of a spoon to fill the bottom and create a small divot in center.
- PLACE an egg in each divot with point side up, then DIVIDE remaining batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. TAP the tray on the counter a few times to ensure the batter fully encases the egg.
- BAKE muffins for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Take care to not press the toothpick too deep to puncture the egg.
- Muffins are best served slightly warm but can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.