6 sheets fresh lasagna noodles
6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
5 oz. fat-free ricotta cheese, drained
1/4 cup basil, chopped
2 Tbsp. Pecorino cheese, grated and divided
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1/4 cup of polive oil
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
Yields: 6 servings
- Using a 4” biscuit cutter, CUT 12 pasta disks and KEEP moist under wet towel.
- MIX together ricotta cheese, 2 tablespoons of basil, 1 tablespoon of Pecorino.
- PLACE 6 pasta disks on a board. FILL a tablespoon with ricotta mixture and PLACE in middle of disks, leaving room around the edges to seal the ravioli. MAKE a deep “nest” in the middle of the mixture to hold the egg yolk.
- GENTLY PLACE an egg yolk into each ricotta nest. BRUSH egg white around the edges of the bottom pasta disk and COVER with another pasta disk. USE a fork to CRIMP the edges of the disk, making sure it is sealed. Be careful not to break the egg yolk.
- FILL a low sauté pan with just enough water to cover the ravioli and bring to a simmer. GENTLY PLACE ravioli in the pan using a slotted spoon and COOK for about 1 minute. REMOVE carefully and SET on a plate.
- In a small saucepan HEAT olive oil, tomatoes and remaining basil until just hot. DRIZZLE olive oil mixture over ravioli, SPRINKLE with remaining Pecorino and SERVE immediately.
Fresh, ready-to-use lasagna noodles work best in this recipe.