4 large EGGS
8 oz. fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
4 tsp. olive oil
1 large poblano chile, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
8 oz. tortilla chips
4 oz. Cotija cheese, shredded
4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Yields: 4 Servings
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F. LINE large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- COOK sausage in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, about 5 minutes until done. TRANSFER to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- HEAT 2 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. ADD poblano and diced peppers and COOK for 2-3 minutes. REMOVE from heat.
- SPREAD half of tortilla chips on baking sheet. LAYER top with half each of beans, peppers, sausage and cheese. SPREAD the rest of the chips on top and follow with the rest of the beans, peppers, sausage and cheese.
- Meanwhile, WIPE out skillet and HEAT remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. BREAK eggs into a small bowl and SLIP into skillet one at a time. Immediately REDUCE heat to medium-low. COOK eggs for about 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- DIVIDE nachos among four plates. TOP each serving with a fried egg and SPRINKLE with cilantro.
- Add salsa verde and squeeze a lime on top for even more spice.
- Feta or Parmesan cheese can be substituted for Cotija cheese.
Per 1/4 serving
Total fat: 62 g
Saturated fat: 22 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 9 g
Monounsaturated fat: 23 g
Cholesterol: 290 mg
Sodium: 1820 mg
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 4 g
Protein: 42 g
Vitamin A: 225 mcg
Vitamin D: 2 mcg
Folate: 73 mcg
Choline: 220 mg
Calcium: 596 mg
Iron: 5 mg
Potassium: 665 mg
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin A and choline, and a good source of vitamin D and folate.