|large, hard-boiled egg yolks
2 1/2 cups
|unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
|pearl sugar for topping
|candied cherries, optional
- HARD boil two eggs. Once cool, SEPARATE the yolks from the whites and DISCARD (or eat!) the whites.
- MASH the two hard-boiled egg yolks with a fork.
- CRACK two raw eggs and SEPARATE the yolks from the whites. RESERVE the whites for later in a separate bowl.
- ADD the two raw egg yolks to the mashed hard-boiled egg yolks along with the sugar, and WHISK until well combined. You could also use a stand mixer.
- ADD in the flour and lightly MIX to combine. It will look quite powdery at this point.
- ADD in the cubed chilled butter and MIX to combine (almost like a pie dough consistency). KNEAD until the dough comes together, WRAP in plastic wrap, and PLACE in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- PREHEAT the oven to 375⁰F.
- Once the dough has been chilled, REMOVE small pieces (about the size of a walnut) and ROLL them into little snakes. FOLD the ends over each other to make a wreath shape. REPEAT until all dough has been used. PLACE the wreath cookies on a baking sheet.
- Lightly WHISK the egg whites and BRUSH over the top of each cookie. SPRINKLE with pearl sugar, and PLACE a small piece of chopped candied cherry in the middle.
- BAKE in the oven for 10 minutes. They should not be fully brown, just a very light hint of golden color before removing. LET COOL, and ENJOY!